Basic Poker Rules - Poker Hand Ranking
For those that do not know the basics, here are the ways the hands and cards are ranked in poker.
Number of cards in the deck: 52.
Number of suits: 4 (Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, Clubs)
Number of cards in each suit: 13 (In order of rank; Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2)
Number of cards in a poker hand: 5 (even in games where you are dealt more than 5 cards, only 5 cards count as your poker hand.)
Rank of poker hands from highest to lowest:
1. Royal Flush; (ace, king, queen, jack, ten, all the same suit.)
2. Straight Flush; (5 cards in sequence of the same suit. see "straight" below for explanation of in sequence) (The lowest ranking straight flush is the wheel-flush, ace, 2, 3, 4, 5. 5 is considered the top card, not the ace.) (if two players have a straight flush, the one with the higher top card wins.)
3. Four of a kind; 4 Kings, Queens or other cards. (Of course the higher ranked 4 of a kind wins, such as 4 kings beats 4 queens)
4. Full House; This consists of 3 of a kind, (see below) and a pair all in one hand. (example; you have 3 fours and 2 kings. That would be fours over kings, while having 3 kings and 2 fours would be kings over fours.) (If 2 players each have a full house, the better three-of-a-kind part of the hand wins. example; you have 3 eights and two aces, your opponent has 3 nines and 2 twos. Your opponent wins. Their nines beat your eights.)
5. Flush; 5 cards of any rank, but all the same suit. (If 2 players each have a flush, the flush with the highest top card wins, if that is a tie, then whoever has the highest second card wins, if that is a tie, you compare the third, fourth, fifth card, etc.)
6. Straight; 5 cards in sequence. (example; 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is a 7-high straight. If you opponent has 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, they have an 8-high straight and they win.)
7. Three of a Kind; (Trips) 3 cards of the same rank. (example; 3 sevens, 3 eights, 3 kings. if 2 players have 3-of-a-kind, the highest ranking cards wins the hand)
8. Two Pairs; A Pair is 2 cards of the same rank. 2 pair means you have 2 sets of 2 cards of the same rank. (If 2 players each have 2 pair, the player with the highest top pair wins. Kings and twos would beat queens and jacks.)
9. Pair; 2 cards of equal rank. (If 2 players each have a pair, the highest ranking pair wins. If 2 players each have the exact same pair, then out of the 3 remaining cards in your hand the highest card is your "kicker". The highest kicker wins. If still tied, you go to the next highest kicker, etc.)
10. High Card; Where no one has a pair or above, you compare hands like this. The highest card in your hand vs the highest card in opponents hands. If that is a tie, then you compare the next highest card, then the next if still tied and so on. (King, Queen, 10, 6, 2, would beat King, Queen, 10, 5, 4. It would have been a tie until the fourth card compared and the first hand has a 6 to their opponent's 5.)
Sports Betting 101
Betting on sports is perhaps as old as the various games themselves. Millions of people have made huge money out of betting on sports. Possibly no game is left virgin of betting. All games have bookies and wages attached to them. Alike is the case with the countries across the globe. Betting is becoming a universal phenomenon nowadays. The difference however lies in the fact that some countries have accepted betting and so have legalized it while others still consider it illicit. For instance betting is taken to be legal nearly in entire Europe whereas Nevada is the only place in United States of America where wagering is deemed to be lawful. But the geographical scenario does not bring much variation in the terms and conditions or the rules and style of betting. The betting policies for a particular game for example cricket remain approximately the same around the world.
But what differs with the place or country is the sport and the amount of bets placed on it. Like people in Asian countries are leaders in betting on cricket. Cricket is the favorite sport in the Asian subcontinent. But in Europe and America games like horse racing, basketball, hockey, soccer and football etc. receive topmost priority. Thus that sport is wagered the most, which is relished, by maximum number of people.
Australia is one of the best places in the world to enjoy betting. This is because betting is legal in Australia and there are ample of sports that are cherished by the Aussies. Australian Football and Rugby are the two eminent names in this category. Lots of good information and even betting guidelines or tips about these games and many others like tennis are available on the Internet due to the legality of sports betting in Australia.
Ireland is the land that gives birth to the most of the English sports action. Irish football and Hurling are unique English sports. Rugby, cricket, golf and tennis are other English sports that invite lot many bookmakers and so bets. The English Premier League or one can say the English Soccer involves tremendous wagering in Europe. Darts are also famous among the English. Many people love betting on the not so common game of Darts. But this isn’t all. Punters never leave The National Leagues, the National and International Cups, the Motor Sports like Formula F1 Racing, the IRL or the Indy Racing League and the NASCAR i.e. the National Association of Speedy Cars and Rednecks, involves million dollar wages or even more every year.
Human beings have always made good business through animals. Along with the horse racing the racing of animals like camels, pigs, ponies and dogs invite great amount of betting in Europe as well as on the land of America.
While betting on any game what should be followed is your knowledge of the game and what your intuition or common sense says. A bettor should be pretty clear and confident over the option of his bet. If an individual is making a bet for the first time, don’t bet big. It can lead to unexpected snags. Remember, it takes time to learn and develop betting skills.